I don’t know where you live, but here in Cleveland, there is a Speedway 5 minutes from my home, right in the heart of the Orthodox community. It’s open 24 hours, and you will always see Orthodox Jews coming in and out, buying Slurpees.
Well. You need to understand a few somethings.
- When you keep kosher, there are very few fun foods you can buy for a buck.
- There are also very few stores you can buy fun food at that are open 24 hours.
- The fact that Slurpees are kosher is very exciting – us kosher folks are ALWAYS scouting for “what’s kosher?” at Costco, Target, or the local grocery.
- When you have kids (as most Orthodox Jews do, for a lot of child-rearing years), a Slurpee is a great easy incentive that all kids love.
- When you’re a teacher of Torah or a parent of a Torah-observant home, you are always seeking to motivate your kids to learn Torah/do mitzvot; hence easy, cheap incentives are always being sought.
Note: the frightfully blue tooth color actually does fade with time.